- Homily on the anniversary of an ordination
Today we bring you a homily preached this past summer by Ed Schroeder on the occasion of a fortieth anniversary of ordination. In it, Ed makes reference to several visual aids, including a picture made by his wife Marie, a photograph of which is included below (and as an attachment to this e-mail).
In a separate ...
- Luther on the Ten Virgins—and the Surprising Source for This
This may look at first glance like one of the scantier posts you’ve ever gotten from Thursday Theology, but really, it’s not. That’s because the meat is tucked away in a link you’ll get to shortly. Be sure to click on it. It will be your food for the week, thrown together by master chef ...
- Something Greater Than Justice.” A Post-Ferguson Reflection
Richard E. Mueller, senior pastor of the Lutheran Church of the Atonement in Florissant, Missouri, stepped into his pulpit on the last Sunday in August understanding that the week’s events in the now notorious Ferguson, one suburb to the south, required his attention. What he said that morning got to us via a back channel, ...
- More Musings on ‘Justification’
Two weeks ago we sent you a scattershot post about Richard Dawkins, Romans 3 in English translation, and the God’s Word version of Bible. One of those items garnered a response. It plunged the undersigned into some further musings. Here they are.
Peace and Joy,
Jerry Burce, for the editorial team
In our October 9 note about Romans 3, ...
- Original Sin
This week we bring you an essay from the files of Ed Schroeder, written by Ed under circumstances lost to time, but offered up here as a short meditation on the connection, as Ed puts it, between the “spoke” of sin and the “hub” of Christian theology.
Peace and Joy,
Carol Braun, for the editorial team
- Octoberish Orts. 1) Richard Dawkins, Fundamentalist? 2) Romans 3 in English 3) The Intriguing “God’s Word” Translation
Topic: Octoberish Orts.
1) Richard Dawkins, Fundamentalist?
2) Romans 3 in English
3) The Intriguing “God’s Word” Translation
- An MD’s “Crossing” of DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
Topic: An MD’s “Crossing” of DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
- Book Review: DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
Topic: Book Review: DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
- Tracking Guardians of the Galaxy
This week we bring you a piece by Peter Keyel, an immunologist and Crossings Board member whose most recent contribution to Thursday Theology was an essay on theological resonances in The Hobbit. This week he returns to the well of popular culture, this time by applying the Crossings concept of Tracking to the recent action ...
- Good News for the Disconnected?
Today’s date calls to mind the evil that still rages in the world, as it always has. I’ve been listening of late to a pair of brilliant podcasts about the histories of Rome and Byzantium. They remind me that the wrath and ruin visited on New York and Washington thirteen years ago is as nothing ...