- 41 Days and 40 nights in Europe – Part II
- Chad Bird on the Baptism of Jesus
- Those “Solas” in Lutheran Theology
- Priests and Programmers: Technologies of Power in the Engineered Landscape of Bali
- A Cake for Seminex’s 35th Birthday
- From Finland: Gospel-driven Joy as a Mission Strategy
- Mission in the Gospel of Mark
- Mr. Pelagius Goes to Washington. A Book Review
- Faith as Surrender (Revisited)
- “A Little Dirt for Christmas.” A Sermon.
- For a Nation to Repent (Continued) #4
- Mixed Observations, All Brief
- What Kind of Fool am I? A Reflection on the Same-Sex Marriage Debate
- “Where on Earth are the Heavenly Places?” Edward H. Schroeder Interaction, February 1976
- The ‘Peace-and-Justice’ Mantra. (An Ed Schroeder Rerun, Part 1)
- Relocating Authority in the Family
- Looking at the Passion through the Wrong End of Exodus, and Other Notes for Holy Week
- Using the Double Dipstick Test on Whether the Church Should Speak Out on Social Issues
- Seminex Remembered–Seminex’s own Theology
- Christian Spirituality in the Workplace
- What is Christian Spirituality? Answer: Faith in Christ
- Sin and Forgiveness: How Bad the First One, How Good the Second?
- Easter Unfolding. A Gift from Amy C. Schifrin. Part 1
- Following Jesus when things fall apart (Part 2)
- Walter R. Bouman, R.I.P. “God’s Yes and God’s No”
- #788 An Exemplary Conversation (2)
- “From Three to Four, Not Before!”
- Better Medicine
- One Christian’s Response to “Star Wars — The Phantom Menace”
- Singapore Postscript I
- Salvation. What is it Really?
- Mostly Mission, Some Miscellanea
- LOSING OUR VIRTUE. WHY THE CHURCH MUST RECOVER ITS MORAL VISION
- Faith in EXTREME Daily Life
- The Crossings Curriculum of 1983-93 (Continued) with a Spinoff on Atonement Theories!
- The People of God in the Holy Land Today
- Some Luther Quotes for the Feast of the Holy Trinity
- A Reformation Day Epistle
- Pressing Reminders from Ed Schroeder (Part 2)
- More Musings on ‘Justification’
- “What If?” as a Tool for Law/Gospel Discernment
- Two for Eternity
- Steven Kuhl on “Reformation Spirituality” (Part Two)
- Faith and Reason in a Post-Secular World
- More Artifacts from Earlier Days in Australia. Ethics
- The Lord’s Prayer
- God Hidden/God Revealed—an Essential Bertram Corrective, per Matthew Becker (Part 2 of 2)
- A Timely Look at Pentecostalism through a Law-and-Gospel Lens (Part Two)
- Remembering Carl F. Schalk—Composer, Teacher, Friend
- Proposal: When Jesus says: “That they may all be one,” he’s NOT talking about ecumenism.
- Moving our Congregations from Maintenance to Mission
- Crossings Theology: Roots and Branches
- “When God is Silent.” A Sermon
- Easter Unfolding. A Gift from Amy C. Schifrin. Part 2
- Theology of the Cross
- Dark Gethsemane: A Lenten Message from the Holy Land
- The Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod and Lutherans in Eastern Europe. Part 2
- The World Trade Center Revisited
- Peace on Earth in Bethlehem 2002. A Blue Christmas?
- Response to Jungkuntz homily
- Why Jesus’ Baptism Matters for Jesus’ Missionaries
- The “Freedom” Struggle: Another Tussle with St. Paul
- Year’s End Summary: the Hassle about the Gospel
- Luther’s essay ON WAR AGAINST THE TURK
- Mission Affirmations Run Through a Law-Promise Sieve
- Third Use of the Law and “Valparaiso” Theology – A Book Review (Part II)
- A New Chapter
- Homosexuality and Creation Theology
- Theology of the Cross, the Melody of Three Books for Review
- Is Robert Gagnon, the New Glue for Linking “Conservatives” in ELCA and LCMS?
- A Time for American Repentance (Part 2)
- The Augsburg Aha! — “Human Will and Human Works”
- Another Look at the “ELCA Study on Sexuality: Part Two”
- The Ownership Question- Whose We Are
- The Trinitarian Dogma
- Primacy of Popes and the Promise. A Review of O’Malley’s “The History of the Popes”
- On Hope and Ignorance: Gleanings from the Mission Field
- Some Christmas Leftovers
- In the Afterglow of Easter 2006
- A Book Review of FAITH ALOUD: DOING THEOLOGY FROM THE HYMNS IN PAPUA NEW GUINEA. by Marcus Felde, Goroka, Papua New Guinea: Melanesian Institute, 1999
- Justification in Nickel Words
- Life on the FasTrak. But Not the One You May Think of First.
- “God-Sized” Task to Tame Fallujah
- Cross-winds at Pentecost
- Romans 5:12-19 February 11, 1999
- Christians in Time of War–Hitler’s Germany, Today’s America
- #767 The Deified Gun
- Schroeder Summer Sabbatical
- The Gerasene Demoniac, a Strange Yet Timely Text
- Some Essential “Crossings” Theology in Plain English. (Part One of a Keynote Presentation)
- Sermon from Crossings Conference (2007) “The Net Made Flesh”
- Giving Thanks for Ed Schroeder (Repost of “The Care and Redemption of God’s Creation”)
- Ascended Indeed. Alleluia!
- The Missouri Synod’s Presence in Eastern European Lutheranism
- Eulogy Plus Gospel – A Case Study: David Truemper, R.I.P.
- Who’s On Trial Here?
- The Good News of St. Matthew’s Genealogy
- #762 Nervy Faith, or How to Appall a Pietist
- The Future of Lutheranism In a Global Context
- In Washington, Missouri, Too — It’s a Time for Confessing
- THE LUTHERAN surrenders
- The Gospel covers the Greatest Sin (and which sin, pray tell, is that?)
- #763 Talking with the “Nones”
- 2001 Churchwide Assembly by Robin Morgan
- Tidbits from Luther’s Easter Sermons
- The End of the Line: It’s All About Faith and the Promise
- Two Theology Classes in St. Louis
- Earthquake in Yogyakarta
- #743 A reading of St. Mark, Crossings-style (Part 2)
- Mission in Mark, Part 3
- Macedonian Call from Palestinian Christians (that you haven’t seen on CNN)
- The Gospel at E. 93rd and Kinsman
- What Happens on the Cross? An Interchange and Conversation, Part 2
- “Think Gospel, Preach Christ!” Lessons from Elert for Today’s Church (Part 1)
- Whose Trial?
- Voices from Australia: One on Armageddon, one on the Holy Spirit
- A Time for Confessing in the Missouri Synod (continued)
- National Repentance #5. (I wish it were the last one.)
- Hospice Reflections on John 11
- The Politics of Epiphany
- The Crossings Method for Studying Biblical Texts
- The LCMS Mission Affirmations of 1965–Then and Now
- A Letter from Coronavirus Prison
- Update from Christmas Lutheran Church in Bethlehem
- Greater Accuracy on the ELCA’s agreement with US Episcopalians
- Discipleship and Spirituality According to Luther’s Catechisms
- Offensiveness: Today’s Gospel Imperative. Its Gift Too.
- THE LEGALISATION OF THE GOSPEL (Part I)
- Bob Bertram in memoriam, Part II
- The Folk Religion of “God Bless America” – Revisited
- Another Look at Gibson’s Film “The Passion of the Christ”
- Two Recent Samples of Easter Confession, Thomas-style
- Preview of Next Month’s Fourth International Crossings Conference
- Database Theology
- #745 Ed Schroeder Reports from Toronto
- #797 The Passive Church. An Argument in its Favor.
- The Historic Episcopate Question?
- Theology of the Cross. A Singapore Congregational Presentation
- Law-Gospel Theology and Family Life.
- Pressing Reminders from Ed Schroeder (Part 1)
- 2004 Won’t be a Happy New Year in the USA, So Long As . . . .
- Student Achievement in Lutheran Confessional Theology
- An Incarnation Narration
- Legalism and Ascension Day 2005, Part I
- Book Review — The Mango Tree Church
- Luther’s Rehabilitation in Recent Roman Catholic Opinion
- Beware the Vultures! A Sermon on Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18
- Why I Detest the Expression “People of Faith”
- Christ, Not Cyrus—Thank God!
- 30,000 More Charioteers into the Red Sea? “Finish the Job.” Whose Job? On Whom?
- Memento Mori at Home
- Some More Thoughts on the Augsburg Aha! – The Augsburg Confession Itself–Class Session #2.
- Ed Schroeder’s Thursday Theologies: The Gospel, God’s Plus for Us
- A Lenten Parable: Babette’s Feast
- “And There’s No Other God.” A Reprise for Today
- Reflections on Luther the Person, Part 1. (With Quick Notes on the Forthcoming Conference, and on Matthew 25)
- #784 Preaching and the teleological temptation
- Honest-to-God Gospel Meets the Dying World
- Caveat Caesar, Emerging from the Shadows, and Other Thoughts for Easter
- The Reverend Dr. Robert W. Bertram International Lutheran Theologian, Interpreter of Seminex by Ed Schroeder
- Clinging for Dear Life in the Season of Easter
- Gnosticism and Legalism
- Faith/Works Conundrum Responses
- The Lord’s Prayer Part 2
- Luther’s Birthday and American Politics
- You’re in Charge and I’m Not by Robin Morgan
- Homosexuality and Reformation Theology
- Easter Leftovers 2021
- The ‘Peace-and-Justice’ Mantra. (An Ed Schroeder Rerun, Part 2)
- Shock and Awe–at the Power of Death or the Power of Life?
- Darwin, Design and Christmas
- Richard John Neuhaus, A Mystery No More
- Evangelical Church and Theology in the Ethiopian Revolution
- Hope and Meaning as the Virus Swirls
- Theologian Giants out of Missouri
- The “Peace & Justice” Mantra
- Christian Education
- A Theology of Acceptance, Part 1 Edward H. Schroeder Proceedings of the 1964 Valparaiso University workshop and proceedings On Human Relations
- 1) Think Christ. 2) Rethink Church
- “Third Use,” Round Two. A Citation from Luther
- Christian Buddhists? A Tale from Thailand [Part II]
- The Augsburg Aha! — Class Session #3. “Church and Ministry”
- Third Use of the Law–One More Time
- Whither Thursday Theology? A note from the Board of the Crossings Community
- Some Thoughts on Christian Preaching
- “Unity after Uvalde?” A Year-Old Sermon on John 17:20-26
- #761 Reclaiming the Sain in Sain Sex
- Self-Reflections for Ash Wednesday
- The Gospel as Advent Theology
- Revisiting Patriotism
- True or False: The Vocation of Christian Congregations is to be “Public Companions with God in Civil Society.”
- A Book Review on Confession and Absolution – Lutheran Style
- How I Spent my Sabbatical
- #787 An Exemplary Conversation (1)
- Seminex Remembered — Faculty Reductions/Closing Shop
- An “Op-ed” for Bible Reading in the ELCA, Part II
- Talitha Kumi in the Cuckoo’s Nest
- Response to John Roth’s “How to Disagree Well”
- Church Discipline
- A Christmas Gift of Blessed Remembering (Daniel Erlander)
- A Book Review: Pastoral Care for Iraq/Afghanistan veterans.
- Luke’s Gospel Through a Systematician’s Lens
- No “Mission” in Luther? A Re-examination (Part 3 of 3)
- Christian reports on the Israeli Invasion of Palestine
- Semper Fideles (Always Faithful) at a Time of War
- #783 Reexamining the “face of God” metaphor
- Missouri Synod / Seminex / Bethel Church In Crisis (Part I)
- Seminex Remembered — The Theology Department
- Getting Back on Track, with a Report from the Mockingbird Conference
- A Quick Thought, A Quick Announcement
- Christian Conversation with an Ex-Marxist
- A Gift for Lent from Jill Peláez Baumgaertner, Poet and Theologian
- Mission in the New Millenium – A South African Voice
- Craig Nessan’s Sermon: “Lazarus!”
- Images of Home
- Augsburg and Charleston
- William P. Young. THE SHACK A Book Review by Phil Kuehnert, Pastor, Zion Lutheran Church, Fairbanks, Alaska
- Pastor in a Country Church
- Preaching the Christian Gospel from Old Testament Texts. One More Time.
- The Lord’s Supper: How open, how close?
- The Day of Jesus Embedded in the Tomb
- Aarhus Conference by Fred Niedner and Dave Truemper
- Michael and the Dragon–On Earth the Battle Continues. Two Case Studies: Narnia and India
- What the Pandemic is Teaching Me about Church
- Describing the Law/Gospel Distinction: The Fuller Version
- 1 Peter 2:1-10 as a Text for Confessors
- Anticipating Easter: A Sermon on Luke 24
- Christ and the Human Condition, 2021
- Carl Braaten’s Jeremiad: ELCA is Just Another Liberal Protestant Denomination
- Robert W. Bertram “A Time for Confessing”
- The Wars of Missouri that Led to Seminex. A Retrospective. Part III: A Sequel from Bob Bertram
- The Daily Life of the Christian, Part 1
- Why Jesus? Still a Problem in our ELCA
- Glowing Jesus, Real Sin
- What’s in a Name?
- #758 Christmas Preaching in the Wake of Sandy Hook
- Replaying A Swan Song
- “The earth showeth His handiwork.” In a human hand?
- In Blessed Remembrance
- Richard Lyon’s Crossing – A Funeral Sermon
- A Sermon Commending Repentance
- Seminex Remembered–Strange and Wonderful
- 1) Robert Kolb on Why Luther Matters Today (A Reading Tip). 2) Christ and “The Cloud”
- Non-Western Theology, Part 2 – The Stress in Letting the “Kids” Grow Up
- Further Conversation on “30,000 More Charioteers into the Red Sea?”
- “Joy and the Christmas Burglar”: A sermon for Christmas Eve
- Is There a Hole in the Net of the “Word Alone Network?”
- Christ Fulfills God’s Law on Good Friday
- A Feminist Christian’s Theology–Two Reviews
- Implications of Luther’s Treatise on Good Works for Four Common ELCA Practices and Ideas
- Unearthing Gospel Gold—the Essay, Part I
- Theopaschitism [Yes, that’s the topic. Pronounced (OED): theo-PA-skit-ism.]
- Post-Election Conversation; the January Seminar
- FAQ About Recent ELCA Decisions
- Mission in St. Matthew
- Luther on the Sound of the Wind (John 3)
- A Maundy Thursday Meditation
- Pardon My Imprisonment – Anticipating Ash Wednesday.
- Law/Gospel and the Life of the Mind
- Tracking Guardians of the Galaxy
- A Window to Heaven–When Children See Life in Death
- “What I Learned from Ed Schroeder” (Part 2)
- Hope and Meaning as the Virus Swirls
- Surprising Things Happen! A Quartet of Surprises at Mid-Lent 2010
- Seminaries are the problem, not the solution.
- John Tietjen’s Sermon on Confessing Christ
- African Lutheran Churches Rebuke their Western Siblings
- A Crossing from Psalm 118: What Makes Those Rejects Sing?
- 1) A Quick Note on Mark 7 for this Sunday. 2) An Impending Transition.
- Your Responses to recent ThTh Postings
- Thanksgiving. A Gratitude Attitude? Not Really
- Promise vs. Panic: Using Christ When COVID-19 Lurks
- The Next (or Next Next) Generation of Crossings Theologians
- War Can’t Be Just. Listen to the Veterans
- Summer Conventions: Is it New Orleans all over again?
- Your God is Too Small
- Christmas Eve Preaching
- Two Letters 1: Out of Africa — Some Observations 2: How ugly evil is!
- God and Continuing Catastrophes
- Mortality at the Manger 2006
- “Gospel Basics For Adults” – A curriculum for new members
- Some Items on Mission Theology
- Jesus Through Jewish Eyes
- Walter R. Bouman’s Sermon: “The Foolishness of the Gospel is our Wisdom”
- A Review of Brian Stanley’s “Christianity in the Twentieth Century: A World History”
- Perilous Children: Notes from the Lutheran/Jewish/Evangelical Frontier
- A Time for American Repentance (Part 1)
- Crossing Our American Moment through Psalm 13
- From Prophecy to Promise
- F.W. Herzberger Part Four — Herzberger’s Theological Legacy Robin J. Morgan
- The debate within the ELCA about HE-succession (continued)
- The Eerie Wonder of Tennessee Jack Daniels
- Christian Callings: Care & Redemption of Creation
- An Expanding Theology: Faith in a World of Connections. E.J.Dwyer, Newtown NSW, 1993, xii – 227 pages.
- Best Practices for the Post-Pandemic Church
- Rescue from the Darkness of Captivity
- A Sunday Morning Explanation of the Liturgy
- Christmas and the Heart of Darkness
- “All Done.” The Homily on the Occasion of George Hoyer’s Funeral
- Grounding One’s Theology in the Gospel, When the Issue is Homosexuality
- The Benefits of Christ for a Fractured America (Initial Thoughts)
- The Sound of the Spirit: A Reflection on the Trinity
- A Caveat for Maundy Thursday–Especially for ELCA Lutherans!
- Where is God When Disaster Strikes?
- Homosexuality. Demonic Diversion from Gospel Mission and Ministry Today
- The Holy Gust on Skid Row–But Hardly a Surprise
- #749 Manichean America
- Are Lutherans really “Strong on Justification,” but “Weak on Sanctification?”
- Book Review – “I Am a Christian: the Nun, the Devil and Martin Luther.” Carolyn M. Schneider.
- FELLOWSHIP AT THE LORD’S SUPPER
- God-Fearing, God-Praising: A Crossings-style Devotion
- “Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light” – A Book Review
- And Then There Were Three
- The Futures Market for Advent
- The Lord’s Prayer as a Prayer for Mission
- Ten “Promising” Words? An Interchange (Part 2)
- Two responses re: The Vatican and Me
- Book Review–THE RAPTURE EXPOSED
- The Law’s So-called “Third Use”
- Six Hundred Sixty-Six: Some Reflections on that Apocalyptic Number
- Two Questions for the Baptized Person (Part Three of a Keynote Address)
- A Parent’s Wedding-Day Dilemma
- Common Christological Declaration of the Catholic Church and the Assyrian Church of the East
- Loving Beyond Barriers
- Should We Go Down With the Ship?
- How to Disagree Well
- The Reformation. What was it all about?
- Easter Leftovers, especially a Nagging Question about John 20:23
- Historic Episcopate–Another (once underground) Voice
- The 2011 Crossings Conference and President Obama’s Address.
- Can I Get a Witness? Here I Stand
- Ferment within the Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion
- Mission in the Secular American Academy
- John’s Gospel and Christian Unity, Conclusion
- Book Review – J.A. Nestingen: MARTIN LUTHER: A LIFE
- Ecumenical Preaching
- The Ascension of our Lord
- “Did Osama Win?”
- First Lutheran Missionary in India–Arrived 300 years ago (July 9, 1706)
- The American Myth
- Burned-Out Biblicist?–Thoughts about Bart D. Ehrman
- Christological Difficulties at IAMS 10 – Part II
- Mosaic Law: Two Views Both Claiming to be Lutheran
- Even Rome Can be Home, but . . . Should Today’s Augsburg Catholics Long to Go There? Not Really
- A Theology of Acceptance – Part 2 Edward H. Schroeder Proceedings of the 1964 Valparaiso University Workshop and Institute on Human Relations
- The Point of Christian Ministry
- Another One from the Archives: Bob Bertram Requiem
- A Lutheran Missiology: God’s Promise the Cornerstone
- Theology of the Cross in the Holy Land
- Continuing last week’s post: “A Mixed Report Card on ‘Damn is Not a Dirty Word’ and ‘Preaching from OT Texts'”
- How the Parable of the Good Samaritan is Good News, aka Gospel
- Jesuit Theologians–One More Time
- #794 More Ways Than One to Preach a Text
- Willingen II (2002), The 50th Anniversary Congress on “Missio Dei” [Latin for God’s Own Mission]
- What the Bishop Said about “Repent,” and other Post-Conference Notes.
- Augsburg Confessional Theology and the Sexuality Debate Part Two: A Canadian Sequel to Last Week’s Post.
- Angels for Advent, and Christmas too–The Message Makes the Messenger.
- Caught to be Catchers
- The Gift of Grace: The Future of Lutheran Theology
- Carl Braaten’s Autobiography
- The Real Surprise of Matthew 25
- Christian Buddhist, Buddhist Christian?
- Steven Kuhl on “Reformation Spirituality”
- “Fail, for Christ’s sake!” A Dose of Luther for Lent, 2015
- Law or Gospel? A Follow-up to the Post of June 11
- Confessing the faith on Christmas Day in the Morning
- Missiology at the IAMS 2004 International Meeting – An Elephant in the Living Room
- Homily for Reformation Day Celebration 2010
- #789 The Gospel Lives!
- As War Rages in Ukraine: Fresh Thoughts on Forgiveness, Peacemaking, Love
- Prayer and Providence
- Mission Theology for the 21st Century
- Dysfunctional Authority–in Families and in Churches
- Remembering Mr. Makoto Mizuno
- Crossing the Word of God with the “Work” of Zion Lutheran’s Church Council
- “Pardon My Dying: A Sequel to Ash Wednesday”
- Werner Elert’s Law/Gospel Textbook on Christian Ethics (Part II–Conclusion)
- Religion “Rebranded”
- Augsburg 1530/Seminex 1974
- In the Throes of John 6
- Good News for the Privileged
- ELCA Publication on Homosexuality – Short on Promise, Long on Law
- Luther’s New Home in the Episcopal Church USA? Maybe, Maybe Not.
- Thoughts of a Manger
- Repentance and Faith for Pandemic Days
- A Reunion at the Lazarus Parable
- Christless Christianity
- #793 Orts: 1. On rules. 2. Concerning the hidebound. 3. On missing the point. 4. A bit of beggin
- Bill Burrows on Spirit, Church, Gospel, and the Centrality of Christ
- A Crossing for Thanksgiving Day 2000
- Obama and His Pastor — Is God Damning America, or Not? That is the Question.
- A Double Autobiography–Art Simon and Bread for the World
- Ed Schroeder on our Lord’s Ascension
- A Time for Confessing in the Missouri SYnod
- Seminex Remembered — Four Crucial Votes
- Preaching the Gospel (again!)
- Richard John Neuhaus, A Mystery No More [Part 2]
- 79 is a Prime Number. Some Ramblings on Passing that Prime.
- Why Luther’s First Thesis Still Matters
- Preaching Justice, Doing Mercy: The Gospel in the Public Square Can we, should we, and did we ever distinguish clearly between the vocations of preachers, prophets, and partisans?
- Renate’s Bethge’s Book on Bonhoeffer – A Review
- Rehabilitating Rejects. God’s Building Project in Psalm 118, the Psalm appointed for Easter
- Some Reflections on the Theology of Bishop I Wayan Mastra
- Lutheran Hermeneutics–A New Contagion?
- Campus Ministry
- God Hidden/God Revealed; according to Werner Elert, via Matthew Becker (Part 1 of 2)
- Ketut Lasia–Balinese Christian, Balinese artist
- In Ed-ifying Memory
- Gospel Agents as “Trackers”
- A Homily for Ash Wednesday
- Reflections on the Mango Tree Church
- The Christmas Gospel according to St. John.
- #775 The Preacher’s Audience: Some Give and Take
- Images of Christ
- The Good News of Jesus Our Judge (An Easter Sermon)
- Nestorius and the Nestorian Church
- Luther and Islam at the Tenth International Congress for Luther Research, August 4-9, 2002 in Copenhagaen
- #798 The Quest
- FOUR WEEKS IN WESTERN CANADA
- #774 “Full Communion” Relationships and the Mission of Christ, Part 2
- “The Unlimited Mercy of God” – Armencius Munthe, R.I.P.
- The Oldest Document in the Werner Elert Archives–A Sermon from 100 Years Ago.
- Tim’s questions (and Ed’s responses) about Christianity in Bali
- To fear or not to fear?
- “What Else Shall We Preach?” A Homily
- #800 Pop-Cultural Theologies of Glory
- a) “Unearthing Gospel Gold,” a Seminar, with a Nudge from Taiwan. b) Felde on the Lord’s Prayer.
- A Review of David Zahl’s Low Anthropology
- The Bible and Me. A Bishop’s Tale.
- The Kingdom of God in Today’s Mission Theology – A Controversy. PART ONE
- The Economy of Forgiveness
- Book Review — “Reviving Sacred Speech” by Gail Ramshaw
- Adding the Gospel
- Will I Hear the Gospel this Fall?
- Letter from the Lutheran Bishop of Jerusalem to US President George W. Bush
- Homily on the anniversary of an ordination
- A special message from Crossings, about Edward H. Schroeder
- On The Fourth Anniversary of 9/11, “Rays of Light”: Law and Promise in the Wake of Katrina
- A Review of David Bentley Hart’s Atheist Delusions
- Regime Change and the Word of God. Some Theological Reflections
- Justification by Faith at Ground Level (An Example)
- African Realities Today Through Lutheran Lenses
- The Organized Congregation – An Oxymoron? Part 2: Reader Responses
- On Parenting in 2019: A Law-Gospel Reflection
- A Daystar Reader
- What Preachers are For
- Why Seminary?
- The Agony of the Empty Preacher
- A Lutheran “Op-ed” for Bible Reading in the ELCA, Part III
- Risking the Tradition
- The Ten Commandments as a Resource for Daily Life
- Christmas 2000 in Bethlehem
- A Sermon in the Wake of the Capitol Riot
- Faith-Statements from Young Confirmands (revisited)
- Can One “Preach” the Law? An Interchange, Part 1
- The Order of Philippi – A Crossings Spin-off
- #759 Grace, Truth, and Glory
- Christianity. The First Three Thousand Years.
- On the Question of Salvation Outside the Church: Luther vs. Luther (Part 1 of 3)
- Two Covenants, not One. A Book Review
- Book Review: DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
- #795 Liturgy and Gospel: A Snippet of Pastoral Counsel
- On Making Decisions in Light of the Gospel
- Ten “Promising” Words? An Interchange (Part 1)
- Lay Leadership at the Lord’s Supper
- Steve Turnbull on “The New Humanity.” A Must-Read for Holy Week. Part 1.
- Pentecost is for Preaching: Part 2
- When You Need to be Healed, You’re a Mission Field
- Responses to “What Lutherans really believe.”
- A reading of St. Mark, Crossings-style (Part 1)
- Something Greater Than Justice.” A Post-Ferguson Reflection
- Easter without Eucharist. Feast or Fast?
- For the “Jesus Seminar,” Just How Much Jesus is Needed?
- How to Give a Eulogy
- A Review of William Lazareth’s “Christians in Society: Luther, the Bible and Social Ethics”
- Law and Gospel in Spiritual Care
- How Many Missouri Synods Are There? Two? Maybe even Three?
- Luther as Mission Theologian — 9.5 Theses
- The Use of Romans 13
- Poetic Preaching by Robin Morgan
- Three Distinctions to Make when Reading the Bible
- Singing Around the Advent Wreath
- Law and Promise Reading of the Scriptures, Part II
- More Discussion on Patterson, the Jesus Seminar and Jesus Himself
- 365 Thursdays–7 Lean Years or 7 Fat Years? A Manipur Test Case
- Fasting & The Resurrection of the Body
- A Patriot’s Puzzle
- Werner Elert and Moral Decay in the ELCA!
- Bush, speaking on the economic chaos
- Depth in the Faith
- Theology Befitting a Bishop–a Proposal, an Offer
- A Crossings Love Story
- The Making of A Local Church — A Lutheran Review of a Vatican II Classic
- Part Two of “Werner Elert and Moral Decay in the ELCA!”
- Preaching the Christian Gospel from Old Testament Texts
- More Student Theology from that Augsburg Confession Class in Springfield, Illinois.
- Discipleship in the Lutheran Tradition
- Jesus and Evolution? Seriously! (A Book Review)
- “Will No One Have the Guts to be a Sinner?” (Part 1)
- Getting married in church
- A Review of Carl Braaten’s “Principles of Lutheran Theology”
- Justification – An Eastern Orthodox Perspective
- A Response to Homosexuality and Reformation Theology
- Even So, Lord Jesus, Come Quickly
- Readers’ Feedback: “How does Jesus on the cross make a difference?”
- In Praise of Thanks
- Armenian Orthodox Church’s 1700th (sic!) anniversary plus other churchly tidbits
- An Assortment of Readers’ Responses
- Biblicism in the ELCA? Can that be true?
- Why the Reformation Matters Today
- Mission is Essential!
- The “Heart Disease” of Self-Referential Faith
- Listen to the Veterans, Part 2. Counsel for a “Non-Religious” Veterans’ Advocate
- Seminex at Thirty. Random Ramblings for an Anniversary
- An Op-Ed “State of the Union Address” for the USA 2006
- Two Conflicting Texts on the Fourth of July
- To Give the Laity their Priestly Due: An Ongoing Lutheran Challenge
- The Elevating Promise of God-Brought-Low
- Play-by-Play Liturgy, Part Two
- Augsburg Confession & Luther’s Catechisms
- Union With Christ
- Why I Detest the Expression “People of Faith”
- How my Mind has Changed? Well, Maybe.
- Law and Promise Reading of the Scriptures, Part III
- A Baptism Serendipity
- Reading the Hurricanes
- Third Use of the Law and “Valparaiso Theology” – A Book Review (Part I)
- Lust, Trust, and Scrambled Eggs
- Jesus in the New Testament: Just How Real is He?
- What Heaven Is
- Bill O’Reilly, Culture Warrior, a Book Review
- Gospel Blazes in the Dark
- Preaching the Prognosis
- ThTh Annual Report to the Crossings Board of Directors
- Selections from Martin Luther for Advent.
- Trusting the Promise: Abrahamic Faith Then and Now
- The Festival of the Reformation
- Learning to Beg
- What about Jesus’ Miracles?
- How I Finally Got Advent
- Discipleship–Lutheran Style
- Memento Mori
- A Call for Reformation as a Church Year Dawns
- A Heads Up for Trinity Sunday
- “Living Well. The Balanced Life.” – The Christmas-issue theme of THE LUTHERAN, the magazine of the ELCA
- IAMS XII
- Getting real about sin on Reformation Sunday
- The Second Use of the Gospel in Lutheran Reformation Theology – Part I
- Why is God “Jealous,” Etc.
- Lutheran Missiology: An Oxymoron?
- #776 The Preacher’s Audience: Participation in the Mystery
- Samplings from Non-Western Christianity
- A Labor Day Challenge
- Faith as Evidence of the Resurrection: A Theme in St. John’s Easter Account
- THE PROMISE OF LUTHERAN ETHICS — Back to the Decalogue?
- #782 Seeing the face of God
- “Lord, Bless This Mess, Please!” A Sermon at the Daystar Conference
- The Gospel in “The Shack” and the “Gospel in the Stable”
- Repentance: Coping with God the Critic
- F.W. Herzberger Part Two
- The 2011 Crossings Conference and President Obama’s Address. Part III
- God’s Facebook and the Other One
- Werner Elert on Truth, and Why It Matters
- Art Simon’s book on American Affluence, a Review
- Luther’s Infamous “On the Jews.” An Assessment (Part 2)
- A Book Review on “Proclaiming the Scandal.”
- The 2008 Meeting of the American Society of Missiology
- R-words for September 11
- Limpet-Mine Theology and Gospel With No Additives
- Faith Alone–Still a Minority Opinion?
- Seminex Profs and the Downfall of LSTC and the ELCA
- Organized Congregation – An Oxymoron? – Part 4 (Finale)
- Octoberish Orts. 1) Richard Dawkins, Fundamentalist? 2) Romans 3 in English 3) The Intriguing “God’s Word” Translation
- The Future of Justification – A Response to N. T. Wright
- Review of John H. Tietjen’s The Gospel According to Jesus. (St. Louis: Creative Communications for the Parish, 2006), 83 pp.
- The Net Made Flesh (A Not-To-Miss Rerun)
- The Faith/Works Conundrum
- Two Takes on God’s Unfolding Apocalypse, American Style
- “One for All and All in One”: A pitch for your presence at the forthcoming Crossings conference via some ruminating on Good Friday prayers.
- The Peace and Justice Mantra. Part II
- The Neighborhood of Jesus (A Homily on Luke 10:25-37)
- Closure on Singapore–Well, Not Quite
- Abraham’s Paradoxical God — God Most High and God Most Low(ly) [An offering from Frederick Niedner]
- Some Reverie Brought on by Renate Bethge’s Bonhoeffer Book
- The Second Use of the Gospel in Lutheran Reformation Theology – Part II
- Muslims, Christians and the Common Good
- Christ’s Two Advents
- One Lutheran’s Agenda in Today’s Homosexuality Discussion
- Tragedy after Easter — Easter after the Tragedy
- A Mixed Report Card on “Damn is Not a Dirty Word” and “Preaching from OT Texts”
- The Theology of West Wing
- Luther’s Theology of the Cross is Not a Theology of Suffering
- Homosexuality revisited
- True Repentance and President Clinton’s Confession?
- In the Aftermath of the Riot: Four “I” Words and a Word of Hope
- #785 A Life and Ministry Shaped by the Good Shepherd
- #790 1) A Christ-confessing Mystery. 2) A Brief Christ-confessing “Aha!”
- Images of Christ, Part 2
- National Repentance #6: Proclaiming Repentance in the Public Square
- Reflections on the Queen’s Funeral
- Lutheran Theology and Chinese Religion
- The Call to Common Mission [CCM] – One More Time
- Is “church” an “active noun,” the subject of sentences? In the NT never
- Thank You Notes After Christmas
- “What Time Is It?” (A Sermon Suited for New Year’s Day)
- Reformation-tide Spin on Law and Gospel (1)
- Peter Keyel on the Usefulness of Superhero Movies
- Postmodernism and truth: a theological perspective
- Street Ministry
- The Crossings Six-Steps and World Religions.
- Theology of Freedom in President Bush’s Inaugural Address 2005
- Reader Response to last week’s review of Stephen Patterson’s book BEYOND THE PASSION. RETHINKING THE DEATH AND LIFE OF JESUS.
- Reflections on the ELCA’s 2022 Churchwide Assembly
- The 2008 Meeting of the American Society of Missiology, Part II.
- #754 An Observation on Bertram’s First Question
- Pope Benedict XVI
- Original Sin
- Book Review: DON’T KILL THE MESSENGER! by Donald Ray Soeken
- The Conflict on Mission Theology in the ELCA
- Lutherans and Catholics: The Journey toward Oz. Reflections on Conscience, Faith and Freedom
- Can One “Preach” the Law? An Interchange, Part 2
- A Review of Robert Jenson’s A Theology in Outline
- The Promise of Lutheran Ethics — Law/Gospel Grammar
- The Elephant in the Sanctuary
- Theological Perspectives on Max Beckmann’s Paintings
- The Holy Thing of Holy Week
- Ed Schroeder on Thankfulness
- Preaching the Ten Commandments
- Mission in Mark
- Crossings in Indonesia and Preaching from Old Testament Texts
- A Report on Crossings International Conference III, January 25-27, 2010
- What Does It Mean “To Follow Jesus”? Tips from Ed Schroeder
- #768 Judgment Day (Part 1)
- #748 The Cultural Roots of Schism (Part 1)
- #769 Judgment Day (Part 2)
- On Extracting Good News from a Thankless Text. An Example
- Easter Mission at Courtside: A Coach’s Reflection
- Facing the Sin of Racism
- Outsiders and Insiders
- A Thought for Christmas and a Conference Invitation
- How I Finally Got Advent
- Ed Schroeder on the Tim Frakes Documentary, “Seminex: Memories of a Church Divided”
- Following Jesus When Things Fall Apart (Part 1)
- Remembering Werner Elert – Fiftieth Annversary of his Death
- Terror and Repentance, Part II
- The Augsburg Aha! — “Sacraments”
- #796 The Lazarus Story
- The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod and Lutheran-Roman Catholic Consensus
- Schleiermacher’s Theology of Christmas
- The Folk Religion of God Bless America, FROGBA Revisited
- Crossing Real Life With Easter–In Bangkok, With Terri Schiavo
- A Pastor’s Accountability in Church Growth
- God Hidden/God Revealed—an Essential Bertram Corrective, per Matthew Becker (Part 1 of 2)
- Mid-summer items on Law and Gospel
- A Christian Approach to Interfaith Relations
- Missiology in the Orthodox Seminary in Albania
- Missouri Synod / Seminex / Bethel Church In Crisis (Part II – Conclusion)
- Becoming Christ’s Body in the World
- The “So What” Factor
- A Mission Sermon
- Luther and World Christianity. Part Two
- Sermons Empty of Gospel: Part 2
- Justification by Faith Alone
- Christian Message Proposals for VTU the Day after the Massacre
- On Ministry and Epiphany
- The ELCA Task Force report on Sexuality: Conscience-bound or Conscience-freed?
- The Theology of President Bush’s 2003 “State of the Union” Address
- The Dark Side of Humanity – a Lutheran Take, a Pastoral Caution and Counsel
- The Theology of Helmut Thielicke
- Cancel any Celebration of the 500th Anniversary of the 95 Theses.
- “Fail, for Christ’s sake!” A Dose of Luther for Lent, 2015
- Augsburg Confessional Theology and the ELCA Sexuality Debate.
- The Great Gift Exchange
- Major American Jewish Theologian Calls for “Left-Hand-of-God” Theology
- Raising Christian Children in a Secular World
- A Book About Forgiveness
- Book Review — “Power in the Blood? The Cross in the African-American Experience”
- #772 Where is Jesus in the “Talents” Parables? An Angle on the Passion
- Roman Catholic – Eastern Orthodox Rapprochement
- An MD’s “Crossing” of DOCTORED. The Disillusionment of an American Physician
- Advent Orts (on Mandela; the Promise; Francis and Joy; Justice; Certitude)
- The Athanasian Creed
- #760 See my lawyer
- A Lutheran “Op-ed” for Bible Reading in the ELCA, Part IV
- Reflections on the Roman Papacy
- Measuring sermons to see if they’re Gospel
- A Grass-roots Theologian on the Faith-Works Connection
- Cruciger’s Hymn Revisited, A Preaching Course, A Birthday
- The Christmas Verdict
- Christian Buddhists? A Tale from Thailand [Part I]
- “Will No One Have the Guts to be a Sinner?” —Preface and Ur-text
- Some spin-offs from Justification by Faith Alone
- Antiracism as the Way of the Cross
- Eucharistic Community: A Canadian Case Study
- “How Can I ‘See’ Jesus?”
- Lutheran World Federation Consultation–The Augsburg Aha! of 1530 at Augsburg 2009.
- Speaking from the Heart
- Poetic Preaching — part 2 Robin Morgan
- The Exodus, a Saving Event? Not Really
- Extra Nos: An Ordination Sermon
- “Church of Joy” theology–right here in St. Louis
- Plain(s) Theology for a Pandemic Problem
- How a Church Can Dare to Die–or Live
- Deconstructing the Concept of MISSIO DEI “in the Light of the Gospel.”
- Arthur Carl Piepkorn. A book-review. Part II.
- Timothy F. Lull – In Memoriam
- Gospel and Community Church of Joy [CCOJ], Part 2
- Mask or No Mask? Crossing Elisha and Dr. Fauci
- R.W.Bertram on REVELATION – Posted in two parts. This is Part I
- “Reconciled—So Let’s Pray!” A Reflection on Luke 11:5-13
- Not Missing the Message in the Good Samaritan Parable
- “Damn” is Not a Dirty Word
- Tsunami Preaching in the 12 Days of Christmas
- More Easter Bits and Pieces from John 20
- The Current Brouhaha About Intelligent Design
- A Parting Peace
- Shock and Awe in Time of War, Part II
- Hope to Cope
- Mel Gibson’s Movie: THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST
- Merciful Accompaniment
- The Folk Religion of “God Bless America” [FROGBA] – A Crossings-style Analysis
- Mission Theology Begins with a Sad Message
- Devotion to Jesus? Service to the Poor? An Interpretation of John 12:1-8
- Coping with Terror–the Missing “R” Word
- And the Wall Came Tumbling Down
- THE PROMISE OF LUTHERAN ETHICS — Forgiveness, Faith, Freedom
- Believing Into….
- Mission and Tradition
- Being Like God’s Widow: Reflections on Freedom and the Stewardship of Money
- (Still) In Bondage to Biblicism – “ELCA Study on Sexuality: Part Two”
- Bishop’s Job Description: What does Augustana 28 say to us today?
- A Balinese Religion Primer with American Commentary
- A Stab at Describing the Law/Gospel Distinction
- St. Paul’s Dangerous Idea (Part 1)
- Segue into Advent on Donated Righteousness
- The Organized Congregation. An Oxymoron?
- #765 God’s deadly diagnosis
- I’ve Got my Doubts about “Praising Doubt”
- Letter to President Bush
- Marriage and the Hard Heart
- The Other Half of the U+turn of Repentance, a Response to ThTh 48
- Proclaiming the Good News
- “Think Gospel, Preach Christ!” Lessons from Elert for Today’s Church (Part 3)
- Some Essential “Crossings” Theology in Plain English, Continued. (Part Two of a Keynote Presentation)
- A Way to Pray the Lord’s Prayer
- When the Ultimate Promise is Terrifying
- The Confessing Church in the Midst of Empire
- Desert Theology and Lenten Piety
- The Preacher’s Task: Robert W. Bertram to Lori Cornell (and Every Proclaimer)
- A Book Review. “The Role of Justification in Contemporary Theology” by Mark C. Mattes
- The Eastering of Robert W. Bertram
- West Point Cadets, Obama’s Speeches and Jeremiah 33.
- “Kill Me, Jesus!” Notes on a Hymn and the Woman who Wrote It
- Gay/Lesbian Ordination – The Central States Synod Resolution
- From a Crossings Colleague in Beirut, Lebanon: “How the Israel-Palestine Conflict Looks from Here.”
- First signals from Singapore
- Justification is Not the Gospel?
- Robert W. Bertram, “Time for Confessing”-When Faith Hits the Road
- DOES CHRISTIAN MISSION DO MORE HARM THAN GOOD?
- Another View of the Blame Game
- The Mission Scene in Bali Today: Post-Denominational Church History 2001
- THE PROMISE OF LUTHERAN ETHICS, Karen L. Bloomquist & John R. Stumme
- A “Lutheran” Spirituality
- What Happens on the Cross? An Interchange and Conversation Part 1
- Demythologization, Theology of the Cross and Christ’s Virgin Birth
- Six Months After Sept. 11
- Missiology at the IAMS 2004 International Meeting – An Elephant in the Living Room, Part 2
- The Good News in the “Short Ending” of Mark’s Gospel
- “The Jesus Vaccine.” A Year-Old Christmas Sermon
- Easter Epistle from Indonesia
- In this Season: Light in the Darkness
- Women Pastors – Christ’s Gifts to the Church
- Announcing Edmund Schlink’s “Ecumenical Dogmatics”
- Two Different Gospels for The Night before Christmas –“Avatar” and the Mangered Messiah
- Caught in the Crosshairs: A Study of Psalm 2
- No “Mission” in Luther? A Re-examination (Part 2 of 3)
- Responses to ThTh 376 about Carl Braaten’s Open Letter to the ELCA Bishop
- #752 Six questions for any text or sermon
- Singapore Postscript II — Vietnam and Myanmar (once Burma)
- Justification – Jargon or Jewel?
- A Review of Richard Lischer’s The End of Words
- #777 Some Uncommon Common Sense about “Mission”
- Gibson’s “Passion” film, one more time
- A Christian Message and the Virginia Tech Massacre–One More Time
- “Think Gospel, Preach Christ!” Lessons from Elert for Today’s Church (Part 2)
- Summer Solstice and Solo Survival
- The Crossings Curriculum of 1983-93–a Retrospective.
- Eulogies at Christian Funerals–Some Second Opinions
- Why Jesus?
- The Lutheran World Federation Needs Help. It’s the “L” Word.
- Two Wings of Effective Mission
- Hildegard of Bingen by Robin Morgan
- Through Perils Unknown: Thoughts of a Seasoned Pastor in a New Call
- Seeing Christ in Galilee
- Werner Elert’s chapter on Economics in his book The Christian Ethos. (Part 1)
- Ed Schroeder Weighs in on “Radical Hospitality”
- Lenten Reverie. First Anniversary of Bob Bertram’s Death.
- Changes in Japan Today: Two Christian Perspectives
- Jesus Pressing His Luck (A Layperson’s Sermon on John 17)
- A Lenten Devotional Booklet for 2005 on the Crossings Website
- A Preacher Still on Trial
- #771 Idolatry and the Gun Debate
- Luther’s 95 Theses–What Was That all About?
- Walt Reiner R.I.P.
- It’s September 11 Again. It’s been 7 years.
- Book Review on Lutherans in Hitler’s Germany
- #744 A reading of St. Mark, Crossings-style (Part 3)
- John Damm’s Homily at John Tietjen’s Funeral
- Lutheranism and World History
- Preaching the Christian Gospel from Old Testament Texts
- Christians Amidst the Bali Massacre
- Legalism and the Gospel in Papua New Guinea
- Law, Gospel, and the Purple Church
- “Sheep? Goat? Try ‘Member of the Family.’” The Real Surprise of Matthew 25.
- Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus, Fiftieth Anniversary
- Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son in the Old and New Testaments: A Jewish Scholar’s Report
- #756 Book review—BROKEN HALLELUJAHS by Christian Scharen
- Reader Responses
- Heavenly Places? That’s You
- God’s Ten Promising Words (Part 2)
- Some Thoughts on the Augsburg Aha! – The Augsburg Confession Itself
- #779 Musings on Ministry and the Holy Spirit
- Reflections on the 2007 Crossings Conference, Part 2
- Mission Theology for New Congregations
- Youth Ministry in America
- Reflections on Luther the Person, Part 2
- “God Loves You” or “Christ Forgives You” — Which One is Gospel?
- Historic Episcopacy and the ELCA – Responses from Readers
- On Teaching Theology – A Slice of Life.
- Our Time For Confessing in the Philippines-The People Power Revolt
- How Bach Set the Gospel to Music (A Book Review)
- Luther on the Ten Virgins—and the Surprising Source for This
- A Letter to President George W. Bush
- Islamization and the Christian Gospel.
- R.W.Bertram on REVELATION (Posted in two parts. This is Part II)
- Getting to Step Six (A Lenten Devotion)
- #770 The Preacher’s Audience
- Law and Promise Reading of the Scriptures
- Genuine Freedom
- Implications of Justification in the Many Contexts of Today’s World
- Perhaps the Analogy is Auschwitz Rather than Vietnam
- Ed Schroeder on Faith and Risk
- Pastoral Theology From an Atheist Who Became a Bishop
- Repentance and Apocalypse Now
- Play-By-Play Liturgy, Part One
- Christian Decline in America: The Pew Report
- #773 “Full Communion” Relationships and the Mission of Christ
- The Continuing Witness of Richard R. Caemmerer, Sr.
- Grace Notes – Two of them
- A Book Review on Science and Religion
- Bible Reading in the ELCA
- Addressing White Supremacy in the Church
- A Tribute to Irmgard Koch
- John’s Gospel and Christian Unity, Part Three
- Pentecost as God’s Answer to the Mess We are In
- Lenten Disciplines
- Luther as Resource for Mission Theology
- The St. Louis Bonhoeffer Conference, July 19-21, 2006
- “The Lutheran Message” – Just What is That?
- Why the Reformation Matters Today (Part 2)
- Book Review: SABBATH AS RESISTANCE by Walter Brueggemann
- Part 2: One Lutheran’s Agenda in Today’s Homosexuality Discussion
- Why We Ordain
- Response to Luther Research
- Evangelical Church and Theology in the Ethiopian Revolution, Part II
- #792 The ELCA’s New Bishop
- Politics and Theology
- Who Will Save the Neighborhood?
- The Theology in President Bush’s Fifth Anniversary “Sermon” for Nine-Eleven (But all in vain)
- The Wars of Missouri that Led to Seminex. A Retrospective.
- Theology of Nature – Two Lutherans’ Viewpoints
- Crossing Workplace Slavery with Freedom in Christ
- #791 Sin, Sight, and a Vision of God
- Our Priestly Mission
- Reflections on THE Gospel, Another Visit Downunder
- Advent Letter from Bethlehem & Apocalypse Now
- Easter Sunday Preaching
- The Daily Life of the Christian, Part 2
- The Homiletical Bind: Preaching Law and Gospel in the Congregation
- Mixed Messages
- Response to Sermon
- On the Thanks We Render Today
- Deaconess Evelyn Middelstadt, R.I.P.
- Book Review – Colin Chapman’s WHOSE PROMISED LAND? THE CONTINUING CRISIS OVER ISRAEL AND PALESTINE
- God’s Call: Forgiveness, Freedom, and Vocation
- Mission Impossible?
- Lucre, Linus and Luke — Crossing the Current Financial Crises
- Luther’s Theology of the Cross and its Relevance for South Asia.
- #766 Ash Wednesday Musings, with a Nudge from Machiavelli
- American Society of Missiology, Annual Meeting 2006
- Mission of God: Gospel of Luke
- Theology of the Cross or Theology of the Resurrection?
- Why is the Gospel not Preached? A Note to a Friend
- Reading and Reflection for Holy Week
- Confessing the Faith on Confirmation Day
- Best Books on Mission
- “Simultaneously Sinner and Saint,” a Second Opinion for the ELCA Journal THE LUTHERAN
- Finding Gospel in Mark’s Gospel
- Reflections on Mission: A Starting Point
- Which Gospel Creates a “Community of Joy?”
- #751 The Cultural Roots of Schism (Part 2)
- Theses on “Biblical Authority and Biblical Hermeneutics” by Werner Elert
- Martin Marty’s SPEAKING OF TRUST. A Review.
- The Terrifying Promise of Love (A Response to Chris Neumann)
- Ed Schroeder on Kingdoms and The Kingdom. A July 4th Special
- Can Rome be Home? Yes and No Answers from 2 Canadian Anglicans.
- Thanksgiving — with a Biblical Hebrew Accent
- Organized Congregation – An Oxymoron? – Part 3
- Exodus: A Saving Event? (One more time. Might it be the last?)
- Memento mori. Two Reminders of My Mortality
- A Confession of Faith prompted by the Dodoma Statement
- Talking Faithfully About Justification
- #764 Book Review — GOD’S REIGN AND THE END OF EMPIRES by Antonio González
- Is Anybody Out There Listening? Or Even Interested Enough to Want to Listen?
- On Faith. Eleven Bertram Theses, Newly Unearthed.
- Memories, Memories–of Crossings, of Seminex
- A “Third Use” of the Law? Doest the Formula Say That? Does the Notion Make Sense?
- “Shut Up, Already!” Part One
- The Exodus: a Saving Event? Not Really [Part 2]
- A Timely Look at Pentecostalism through a Law-and-Gospel Lens (Part Three)
- A Timely Look at Pentecostalism through a Law-and-Gospel Lens (Part One)
- Theology for Third Graders on the Cusp of Christmas
- A New “Commandment”?
- Believing is Seeing
- “Is Anybody Out There Listening?” Part Two
- Risking in Faith
- #786 Kumbaya Revisited
- A Review of Kristin Kobes Du Mez’s Jesus and John Wayne
- A Lenten Labyrinth
- Reader Response to the Wine/Wineskins of Contemporary Worship
- Urban Ministry and the Historic Episcopate
- Law and Gospel Theology: An Unused Resource for Social Ministry
- Readers’ Responses
- Justification by Faith Alone — Doctrine or Hermeneutic?
- On the Question of Salvation Outside the Church: Luther vs. Luther (Part 2 of 3)
- God’s Kingdom, God’s Regime-change–some responses
- Steve Turnbull on “The New Humanity,” Part 2.
- Christology at the Tenth I.A.M.S. Missiology Conference
- Arthur Carl Piepkorn
- Our Christian Shame
- Luther’s Understanding of Law: Lex Charitatis, the Law of Love
- Insiders / Outsiders at the Lord’s Supper
- Jesus, Age 12, at the Temple
- A Book Review GRACE AT THE TABLE. ENDING HUNGER IN GOD’S WORLD
- The History of Medical Missions
- The Augsburg Aha! — Church and Secular Authority (AC 14-16, 23, 26-28)
- All Leadership Is Service, All Service Is Leadership
- Lutheran Theology for Mission
- “Street Priest” in Vancouver, DTES
- Grabbing at Jesus
- Preach the Gospel! It’s What We Need!
- The Gospel of Reconciliation–Paradise Restored or God’s New Deal for Sinners?
- Responses received to the last two postings: “9-11 on the Third Anniversary” (ThTh 327) and “THE LUTHERAN surrenders ” (ThTh 328).
- Anticipating Easter in a Eulogy during Lent
- More from “The Lion and the Lamb”
- “To Be” or Not “To Be”: A Question to Ask When Reading St. Paul
- Gospel Proclamation–Always a Challenge. At Virginia Tech . . . and at Other Places, All Other Places
- On Being Saved and Bearing Fruit
- Theology of Freedom, Part 2
- God Suffers?
- Retiring from Doing Theology
- Glimpses of Easter: The Eucharist as a Visual Gift
- Esau McCaulley’s Reading While Black. A Review
- The Pastor’s Job
- Advent and Apocalypse in America–a Triad for Crossing.
- Theology of Freedom, Part 3
- Reader Response on Necessitating Christ in Preaching
- John’s Gospel and Christian Unity, Part Two
- The Law and Promise Hermeneutic in a Postmodern Context
- God-as-Gospel: The Doctrine of the Trinity as Science and Theology Converge
- F.W. Herzberger Part Three — Herzberger’s Theological Legacy
- Robert Bertram, Carl Braaten and the ELCA on Universal Salvation
- Last Week’s Sixth Crossings Conference. A Quick Review
- On Religions, Liturgies, Distinctions—and a Huge Difference. A Book Review
- #753 Thankfulness
- “Shut Up, Already!” Part Two
- Lord’s Supper Liturgies
- Luther and World Christianity
- The Church’s Authority and Homosexuality
- Johannes Bugenhagen, Public Theologian
- Those Ten Commandments – Conversation Continued
- Responses to ThTh 148:”Easter without Eucharist. Feast or Fast?”
- Rebuttal of Poetic Preaching — THTH57&58
- Ninety-Five Theses on Church Control
- #780 The teacher’s calling, especially in a parochial school
- Luther’s Theology of Mission
- Responses to Non-Western Theology
- So you thought you knew “deacon”?
- #781 The Awards Ceremony Address You Wish Your Child Might Have Heard
- Doubt and Certainty in “A Lutheran Christian Life for Today”
- The Jesus Mask
- #757 Book review—THE DIVORCE OF SEX AND MARRIAGE by Robert W. Bertram
- A Valentine’s Gift for Gloomy Lutherans
- Still Missing after 10 Years, the “R” Word: Repentance
- The necessity of Christ for his Christians, post-election
- Readers’ Response plus Two Macedonian Calls
- Grounding One’s Theology in the Gospel, when the issue is Homosexuality – Part 2
- Missio and Promissio–Mission and Promise
- A Dose of Bertram in Anticipation of Reformation Sunday
- The Kingdom of God in Today’s Mission Theology – A Controversy. PART TWO
- A Most Timely Essay on “The Spirit and the Publicly Engaged Church”
- On Repentance and New Year’s Resolutions
- A Sequel to last week’s Advent and Apocalypse in America–from Werner Elert in 1932
- The Crossings Matrix (Diagnosis/Prognosis) Keeps Moving
- Repentance in America, What Might it Look Like?
- A Timely Sermon on Religion and Politics
- The Wars of Missouri that Led to Seminex. A Retrospective. Part II
- Jaroslav Pelikan and Roland Bainton–Just before Christmas
- On Earth As in Heaven
- Gospel-grounded Church Leadership. A Case Study
- The Confounding Gospel (Part One of a Keynote Address)
- God’s Ten Promising Words (Part 1)
- Bertram’s “Heretical”? Theology and the Missouri Synod national convention 1973 in New Orleans. A Reprint.
- Many different Gospels, or one and the same Gospel, throughout the New Testament?
- Calvin/Luther conference at Luther Seminary (St. Paul, Minnesota)
- A Bertram Original: Rediscovered Treasure
- The Vatican and me
- What is Safe?
- What Women Clergy Have Taught Me
- A Bertram Memorandum. Another Artifact from Seminex Days and the Wars of Missouri
- Faith Place
- Aarhus Revisited – Theology Where the Rubber Hits the Road. From: Robin Morgan
- The God Question
- Mega-Fear, Mega-Joy
- The Peril and Promise of Holy Love
- Luther’s Infamous “On the Jews.” An Assessment (Part 1)
- His Hand Was on Lincoln’s Bible, but . . . .
- Bonhoeffer, “German Christians,” and American National Religion
- More Scraps on the Politics of Epiphany
- On the Question of Salvation Outside the Church: Luther vs. Luther (Part 3 of 3)
- Till the Night Be Past: The Life and Times of Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Chaplain’s Ministry for Luther’s 524th birthday–and–the 232nd birthday of the U.S. Marine Corps!
- #799 Justification by Grace through Faith”: What Does This Mean?
- Interfaith Prayer
- Part One — F.W. Herzberger
- Now About the Risks Involved… Edward H. Schroeder “Interaction,” March 1975
- Responses to ThTh #179 “Repentance and Apocalypse Now”
- Luther’s Missiology. A Conference Paper
- Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification, part 3
- Humanity coram Deo – Pieces of a 1947 Lecture by Werner Elert
- The way, the truth, and the life
- Book review: “Cross Examinations: Readings on the Meaning of the Cross Today”
- Anticipating Easter. A Rerun.
- Good News for Chronic Sufferers
- Living with Two Calendars
- Werner Elert’s chapter on Economics in his book The Christian Ethos. (Part 2)
- Astronomy/Cosmology Breakthroughs and the God Question
- On Checking the Blind Spot (A Sermon)
- A Message from the Field: “Ed, You didn’t get law/gospel right!”
- “Lutheran Theology and Global Capitalism” [Or “Empire-building and Me”]
- Getting Sermons to Stick
- Unity of the Church:the ELCA’s In-House Controversy on the Historic Episcopate
- ELCA Launches Project on How to Read the Bible
- George Floyd as a Summons to Lutheran Repentance
- Plain Speaking
- Sample Sermon on an Apocalyptic Text.
- Rob Saler on the Publicly Engaged Church, Part 2 (Rich Fare for Holy Week)
- Jeremiah Wright was Right: God is NOT Blessing America
- Testing Benedict XVI By the Company He Would Keep
- Christianity and Politics.
- So you want to be a priest, then?
- Sermons Empty of Gospel
- #747 A reading of St. Mark, Crossings-style (Part 5)
- Elert on Freedom
- “Your Gospel is too Small.” A Look at 2 Recent ELCA publications.
- Coping with Chaos
- A Scholar’s Update
- God Hidden/God Revealed; according to Werner Elert, via Matthew Becker (Part 2 of 2)
- Eschatology as a Function of the Gospel
- #750 On Being Special, or Not. A Double Crossing.
- Two Easter Eggs for my Basket Came on Easter Monday
- Death, Life, and Baptism (3)
- Whose Church is it Anyway?
- The Word Became This Flesh
- An (Un)LUTHERAN View of the Kingdom of God
- #755 A Perfect World
- “The Grace of God has Appeared.” Which Grace?
- Sheep, Goats—and Gospel? A New Year’s Homily
- Football Theology
- Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification, part 2
- Death, Life, and Baptism (1)
- Palestinian Lutherans in Today’s War Zone (Continuation of ThTh #124)
- Angela Denker’s “Red State Christians.” A Review
- Easter at Ground Level—A Meditation on Baptism
- The Original “Christmas Crossing”
- A Rite for Labor Day
- A Belated “Duh!” on “Take Up [Your] Cross and Follow Me.”
- N.T. Wright’s “God and the Pandemic.” A Review
- Covid-19 and the Judgment of God
- Repentance is not Popular–Neither in our Nation, nor in our Church
- Reflections on the 2007 Crossings Conference
- Death, Life, and Baptism (2)
- “What I Learned from Ed Schroeder”
- Discipleship in the Lutheran Tradition, Continued
- On Not Losing the Cross in Today’s Debate on the Atonement
- How the Old Age Works (A Book Review)
- Reflections on the Message of the Advent Season
- Augsburg, Ramadan, and ISIS
- Crossing the Kidney Market — With Law and Promise
- The 2011 Crossings Conference and President Obama’s Address. Part II.
- The Easter Life in Practice (An Example)
- Reading the Bible in Mission to the World.
- A Scientist’s Easter Witness
- What NOT to say After the Virginia Tech Massacre
- Stephen C. Krueger In Memoriam
- A Book Review: Dean Lueking, “Through Their Eyes. A People’s View of the Global Church”
- Requests from Bishops
- Crossings Inc. Annual Board Meeting – My Report
- Good News for the Disconnected?
- “I held an umbrella . . . until we got through the resurrection.”
- #778 Luther as Mission Theologian
- Leaving One Denomination to Find a Pure One
- Book Review: FROM THE OXUS RIVER TO THE CHINESE SHORES: Studies on East Syriac Christianity in China and Central Asia
- Andrew Weyermann in memoriam
- Vatican “Clarifications” on the Catholic – Lutheran Joint Declaration on Justification
- The Crossings Family Tree: A Third Generation.
- Empire-building infects us all
- “Church of Joy” theology–right here in St. Louis, Part II The ELCA
- Reverie on Ten Years of Crossings on the Internet: Sabbatheology #1 Redivivus
- Mission in Mark, Part 2
- The Impact of Holy Land on Faith
- THE LEGALISATION OF THE GOSPEL (Part II)
- Is it Still Worth Being a Lutheran?
- What Is God Doing?
- Sermons Empty of Gospel : Part 3
- A book on Authority in the Lutheran Church – Missouri Synod.
- How Can We Love?
- More Discoveries from That Year Downunder 1994
- Creation Spirituality – an Other Gospel
- The Maasai Creed
- Living Stones
- Genetic Engineering
- “No Going Back.” An Easter Sermon
- Why Jesus? A Preacher’s Mission-Minded Reflections
- #746 A reading of St. Mark, Crossings-style (Part 4)
- Angles on Angels, and on Genuine Christmas Peace
- An Approach to “Discerning the Spirit” (Part Two of a Keynote Address)
- Just how good is the theology of GOD BLESS AMERICA?
- Werner Elert’s Law/Gospel Textbook on Christian Ethics
- Seminex at Thirty-Five.
- The Theology of Johannes von Hofmann
- 9-11 on the Third Anniversary
- Reflections for Reformation Day
- Book Review of Martin Marty’s MARTIN LUTHER
- Easter Message from the Holy Land
- Theology of the Cross. Richard Koenig in memoriam
- The Donald and Me
- Assorted Gospel Tidbits–Some from Luther, Some from Others
- Robert C Schultz’s response to the Gay/Lesbian Ordination Resolution
- Unearthing Gospel Gold—the Essay, Part II
- Gay is OK. An Argument from the Lutheran Confessions. What!?
- Mission from a Position of Weakness
- John’s Gospel and Christian Unity, Part One
- Book Review by Robin Morgan
- On Performative Utterances
- Lutheran Missiology–Oxymoron? Part II
- A Surprising Paucity of “Forgiveness”
- Two New Books from Old Seminex Colleagues
- Thoughts occasioned by reading Robert Bertram, A TIME FOR CONFESSING, by William R Burrows.
- How God’s Law Works: Epiphanies from a Fiction Writer
- Baptismal Identity
- First Thoughts on the Sack of the Capitol